Dark Side of the Sun

Sunday, April 12, 2009

New Script: image sequence to .mov

Even though it is already included with my .mov Preview Maker script, I made available my command-line qtSeq2mov.js script as a stand-alone. It converts a numbered image sequence to a .mov quicktime movie.

It runs on Windows, and you need to have Quicktime installed.

As always, you can find it in the scripts section of Dark Side of the Sun.

If you find a use for it, let me know.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

New maxScript: .mov Preview Maker

I am probably not the only one who got very frustrated with the fact that 64bits versions of 3ds max don't allow export of .mov quicktime movies. That's why a few months ago I set on a quest to create an automatized workaround for the problem. Because I could always, in a pinch, use the manual workaround, I left it aside and decided to tackle other challenges.

After leaving it aside for a long time, I faced this particular dragon again today... and killed the beast.

The main piece of it is a macroScript for 3ds max, called .mov Preview Maker. It will give you the most basic preview creation options, and output that as a sequence of .tga files. The second piece of the puzzle is qtSeq2mov.js, a windows command-line script, called externally from 3ds max, and which controls Quicktime to open the .tga sequence and convert it to a quicktime movie.

You can find the script package (including the .js script and icons) in my scripts section. Be sure to read the included .txt file for setup details.

If you use the script and find it useful, or find a bug, or would like to make a request for enhancements, I would be very happy to get your feedback and comments.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Entering a New Age

Indeed, my friends, this blog is entering a new age. It was a bit awkward to keep maintaining it, while I have other websites, portals, profiles and whatnots. But I still consider it an interesting tool and complement to my main website. It allows me to go more in depth with stuff I can barely mention in the main "news" section of my website.

That's why I decided to keep the blog going, but reorient it in several ways:
  1. It is now (also) embedded in my main website, to centralize all the information. Although a stand-in version is still reachable at http://www.mayec.eu/blog, which you may be seeing right now (if no "Dark Side of the Sun" title is visible up there).

  2. I will try to always and only post in english. thus the change of name to its original "Strange High House in the Mist". This was a hard choice, because it excludes some of my spanish friends who have a hard time reading in english. But in the end, it compensates the exclusion problem with an inclusive perk: it will make it accessible to more people all over the world. More so when my working field is becoming more international every day.

  3. I brought the design and the add-ons back to a bare minimum. I will probably start adding up again as things become necessary, are wished for or requested by readers. But for now it's back to content, content, content.
The old posts will still be there for now, in the archives.

As always, I will be very happy to hear your opinions and thoughts on this maeuver. Requests, suggestions, complaints... speak freely!